Research Associate, Sorghum (bachelors)
The Research Associate will provide support and leadership for a comprehensive sorghum research program in Plainview, TX aiming to breed superior inbreds and develop elite hybrids for Pioneer customers.
The Research Associate will help organize and conduct daily operations associated with the sorghum breeding program at the research center and outlying locations. These responsibilities include but are not limited to: (1) seed/field preparation and management to ensure high-quality/quantity seed production and data quality; (2) planting and harvesting operations; (3) plot maintenance; (4) field data collection according to established protocols and timelines; and (5) efficient processing, packaging, and shipping of processed seed.
This position may include training and supervisory responsibilities for designated temporary and seasonal employees. The Resarch Associate will lead and maintain assigned safety programs. The Research Associate will be expected to provide support to other projects during critical workload peaks at the Research Center.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in all nursery/lab/yield-testing operations for the Plainview, TX sorghum group. (This will include experiment planning, seed preparation, experiment coordination, note taking, pollination, harvest, etc.)
- Conducts experiments, to completion, according to specific procedures, exercising independent judgment and discretion as appropriate.
- Supervise temporary employees. Ensures that temporary employees receive the required training before initiation of a task. Ensures that temporary employees follow protocols and comply with all safety requirements.
- Maintain equipment, order supplies, and coordinate purchases. Ensure that workplace health and safety guidelines are followed.
- A willingness to effectively work as a team is essential. Collaboration among the staff and the willingness to provide support as needed during critical periods to other projects at the Plainview Multi-crop Research Center is essential.
- Prioritize activities and make time management decisions to ensure all nursery and trial operations are accomplished in a timely manner.
- Take appropriate steps to insure accuracy in all operations or to correct mistakes if discovered.
- Occasional travel to outlying testing locations, conferences, and research centers will be expected.
The following are required:
- Bachelors degree in agriculture or scientific related field and minimum of 0 to 2 years of industry related experience, or equivalent level of relevant education and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as math and computer skills.
- Broad theoretical grounding and understanding in specialized or technical areas (i.e. chemistry, biology, engineering).
- May be required to do physical lifting and work in varying ergonomic environments.
- May be required to work extended hours during peak seasonal workloads.
The following are preferred:
- Field plot/Field research experience
- Familiar with farm equipment and crop production practices
- Familiar with safety, safety programs, or safety leadership
- Experience operating tractors, combines, and sprayers
- Pesticide Applicator’s License
- Commercial Driver’s License
- Experience leading/supervising crews or teams